Ocean City Beach and Boardwalk: Guide to Getting Around and Things to Do
Ranked as one of the top attractions in Maryland, Ocean City Beach and Boardwalk welcomes millions of visitors a year to make memories. This thriving city features both an award-winning beach and famous boardwalk, providing a gathering place to enjoy sunshine and things to do. Read on for an in-depth look.
Ocean City Beach and Boardwalk: Where to Go and What to Do
Quick Guide: Ocean City Beach
Ranked among the top 10 beaches in the U.S., according to TripAdvisor, Ocean City Beach offers 10 miles of beaches along the Atlantic Coast. Even better, everyone enjoy it for free. Forget the passes and fees, just bring chairs, towels, lots of refreshments and sunscreen. In order to keep the beach family-friendly and ensure safety, alcohol is not permitted on Ocean City Beach.
The beach is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., when it closes for clean-up and maintenance. From October to April, leashed pets are welcome to roam, and pet owners have access to a dog park located on 94th Street. In addition, those who need wheelchair access have several options, and public restrooms are located along the strip in eight places.
Although frisbees and sports aren’t allowed from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., there are other fun things to do. Ocean City Beach provides the perfect spot to swim, fish, kayak, canoe, surf and boogie board. Or bring an umbrella, water and a good book, and let troubles melt away.
Quick Guide: Ocean City Boardwalk
When beach time is over, head to Ocean City Boardwalk. Known as one of the best boardwalks in the country by Travel Channel and National Geographic, the attraction features shops, amusement rides, restaurants and free activities. Three miles worth.
Start the morning with a bike ride and breakfast with loved ones. Next, spend time at Trimper’s Rides and Jolly Rogers Amusement Park for thrills and entertainment. Trimper’s offers a mix of kiddie, adult and family rides, and afternoon wristbands are available for a reasonable price. Jolly Rogers includes an amusement park, water park, go-kart track and mini-golf. Passes range in pricing, but ticket combos offer a good deal as they provide access to rides and water park.
Dining and Shopping
Hungry? No problem. Visitors find over 40 restaurants located along Ocean City Beach and Boardwalk, including Thrashers French Fries, Fisher’s Popcorn, Dolle’s Candyland and the area’s first brewery, Backshore Brewing Company. Others include cafes, bars, upscale waterfront dining and local hangouts. With over 200 restaurant options in Ocean City, it’s easy to find everyone’s favorite foods.
Burn off calories walking down the boardwalk to browse small shops. Dozens of boutiques, souvenir and specialty shops are located along the way. Find locally made keepsakes and fashion, or buy a gift for a special someone. See a selection of pieces or take a class at Art League. Don’t miss the vibrant displays and sites at Ocean Gallery, which features art in a wild and crazy atmosphere. At night, watch the boardwalk come alive with music and free events. Summer brings festivals, family-friendly activities and concerts.
Day Trip Tips: Ocean City Beach and Boardwalk
A visit to the Ocean City Beach and Boardwalk can be as short or long as guests need. Whether spending a few hours on the beach and dining, or planning a days of adventure, there are some things to note. Here are some quick tips:
- Free parking: Find free parking in West Ocean City Park and Ride. Purchase an all-day bus ticket to get around the area. Or pick a beach spot and pay to park. This makes walking to the car and back easier.
- Packing: If planning to spend the entire day, bring sunscreen, water, snacks and cash. Bring a couple of large beach bags easy to carry.
- Plan ahead: During summertime, the beach and boardwalk welcomes thousands of people. Fall and winter months have less crowds. Pick a time that works best and plan around the season and events.
- Arrive early or late: If visiting in the summer, arrive early to ensure a comfortable spot. This also helps guests get a good parking spot. If morning isn’t a good time, consider late afternoon once the morning people have left the area.
- Try crab cakes: There are over 200 restaurants in the area. Many serve famous crab cakes for which Maryland is known. Don’t forget to order them. Trust us and check out these Ocean City seafood restaurants.
Read more about Ocean City and why it’s a top vacation destination.